The Dutch Cocoa House at the Glasgow International Exhibition of 1888; The Dutch Cocoa House at the Glasgow International Exhibition of 1888 1888

On Display SCOTTISH NATIONAL GALLERY

  • Scottish Art
Lavery recorded the light interior and lofty proportions of the Dutch House with some visitors to the Glasgow International exhibition enjoying a hot drink. The house, erected by the world-renowned cocoa manufacturers Van Hoeten and Son, of Weesp near Amsterdam, was close to the exhibition's grand entrance. The exhibition, which celebrated Glasgow's industrial, commercial and cultural status, was intended to fund the new art gallery and museum in Kelvingrove park and a new school of art. Lavery became the exhibition's informal artist-in-residence, producing over fifty oil paintings of different themes which culminated in a civic commission to record Queen Victoria's visit.

Details

  • Acc. No. NG 2431
  • Medium Oil on canvas
  • Size 45.80 x 35.70 cm (framed: 75.90 x 65.90 x 6.00 cm)
  • Credit Purchased with the aid of the Barrogill Keith Bequest Fund 1985