Unknown officer and three mounted soldiers of the Leith Fort Artillery
Share

Reference URL

See also

Unknown officer and three mounted soldiers of the Leith Fort Artillery 1843 - 1847
  • Scottish Art
This calotype by David Octavius Hill and Robert Adamson shows a group of officers and soldiers from the Royal Artillery. It was taken within the walls of Leith Fort, which was located on North Fort Street in Leith. Built in 1779 by architect James Craig, the fort was used as an army base by the Royal Artillery until the early 1950s, when it was largely demolished. The building in the background of this photograph is the fort’s gatehouse, which incidentally is now the only remaining part of the original structure. This photograph is of particular interest for its slanting use of light, as the camera is nearly pointing into the sun.

Glossary Open

Calotype

The first effective version of photography, using drawing or writing paper for both the negative and the positive. The paper was sensitised with potassium iodide and silver nitrate, exposed and developed in gallic acid and silver nitrate.

Calotype

Details

  • Acc. No. PGP HA 422
  • Medium Calotype print
  • Size 14.00 x 19.00 cm
  • Credit Provenance unknown