White Horse Close, Edinburgh 1845
Share

Reference URL

White Horse Close, Edinburgh 1845 1845
  • Scottish Art
White Horse Close is located at the foot of the Canongate, opposite the new Scottish Parliament Building, and near the Palace of Holyroodhouse. The Close, which dates from 1623, once served as stables for the Palace and later as a terminus for stage coaches arriving in Edinburgh at the end of the week-long journey from London. Sir Walter Scott, in his novel 'Waverley', describes how Bonnie Prince Charlie's Jacobite officers lodged here when they entered Edinburgh in 1745. By the time McCulloch painted this view in 1845, the buildings had become very run-down. Since then the area has undergone various redevelopments and few of the buildings that remain today are original.

Glossary Open

Jacobite

Jacobitism was a movement to restore the descendants of the Stuart King James VII and II to the British throne. The first claimant, Prince James Francis Edward (known as 'the Old Pretender') was exiled first in France, then Italy, from where he planned unsuccessful attempts to claim the throne. His son Prince Charles Edward (known as 'Bonnie Prince Charlie' or 'the Young Pretender') famously invaded Britain in 1745, but after some military successes was finally defeated at Culloden in 1746.

Watercolour

A paint with colouring and binding agents diluted with water. It has a transparent quality and is usually applied to paper.

Jacobite, Watercolour

Details

  • Acc. No. D 2652
  • Medium Watercolour heightened with white on paper
  • Size 25.80 x 35.50 cm
  • Credit William Findlay Watson Bequest 1881