The Rock, Trichinopoly
Share

Reference URL

The Rock, Trichinopoly about 1860
The Fort of Trichinopoly (now Tiruchirapalli) lies on the sacred Cauvery River in southern India. The fort stands on and around a granite rock, 273 feet high, which is crowned by a temple to the elephant-headed god Ganesh who brings joy and happiness to the family. The striped wall reflected in the water is a masonry tank, which was built in the seventeenth century.

Details

  • Acc. No. PGP R 891
  • Medium Albumen print
  • Size 18.20 x 23.80 cm
  • Credit Gift of Mrs. Riddell in memory of Peter Fletcher Riddell 1985