Staff and pupils, Women's Christian College, Madras
Share

Reference URL

Staff and pupils, Women's Christian College, Madras Between 1917 and 1928
  • Scottish Art
Founded in 1915, like many colleges at that time, Women's Christian College in Madras was formed through a joint venture of twelve missionary societies from England and the United States of America. This photograph forms part of an archive which belonged to Isabella T. McNair. Born in Kilmarnock, McNair gained an MA in English from the University of Edinburgh before moving to British India in 1917 to teach at Madras. She is seated in the centre of the third row. McNair followed in the footsteps of a wave of British missionary women who began arriving in India during the late nineteenth century. The College remains one of the leading women’s colleges in India today.

Details

  • Acc. No. PGP 502.1
  • Medium Silver gelatine print
  • Size 17.90 x 28.50 cm
  • Credit Presented to the collection by Mrs Muriel Hartley 2009