Founded in 1915, like many colleges at that time, Women's Christian College in Madras was formed through a joint venture of twelve missionary societies from England and the United States of America. This photograph forms part of an archive which belonged to Isabella T. McNair. Born in Kilmarnock, McNair gained an MA in English from the University of Edinburgh before moving to British India in 1917 to teach at the College. She followed in the footsteps of a wave of British missionary women who began arriving in India during the late nineteenth century. The College remains one of the leading women?s colleges in India today.