These prints are based on collages made in New York from 1916-17. When framed for their first installation at the Daniel Gallery in 1919, the collages were hinged separately on a revolving stand. The movement of the prints as they were rotated on the stand was therefore similar to a revolving door and produced impressive optical effects. The vividly-coloured collages were not well received by avant-garde collectors, who were more familiar with the subdued palette and lyrical abstract shapes of Cubism. The collages were displayed again in 1926, when a series of 105 prints was made, of which this set is number six. This, the third image in the set, reflects Man Ray’s interest in music.