The Cowgate, Edinburgh
Share

Reference URL

The Cowgate, Edinburgh 1871
  • Scottish Art
In 1871, Burns was commissioned by Edinburgh's City Improvement Trust to photograph the derelict closes between the Old Quadrangle of the university and the Cowgate, prior to their demolition later in the year. According to a contemporary minute, Burns's twenty-six photographs excited "deep interest" as a "faithful record of this old historic part of the City which in a few days will be entirely swept away".

Details

  • Acc. No. PGP R 214
  • Medium Salt print
  • Size 23.4 x 18.6 cm
  • Credit Gift of Mrs. Riddell in memory of Peter Fletcher Riddell 1985