The Old Trinity Church stood on the slopes of Calton Hill in Edinburgh. It was for this church that Hugo van der Goes' Trinity Panels were originally painted. In 1848 the North British Railway Company wanted space for additional railway sidings to service the newly constructed Waverley Station. They proposed the stone-by-stone demolition of Trinity Church to make space, on the proviso that the church would be reconstructed in a more convenient location. Edinburgh Town Council eventually agreed to this, however only the apse was ever rebuilt and is now to be found at Chalmers Close, just off the Royal Mile.