This detailed drawing of Robert Rowand Anderson is the preliminary sketch for one of the roundels in the stained glass window commissioned for the east stairwell in the Scottish National Portrait Gallery. The window was presented to the Board of Manufactures by J. R. Findlay, to commemorate the opening of the Museum of Antiquities, which was also housed in the gallery building. There are twenty-four portraits in total, each surrounded by a different floral wreath. Those featured were of the Antiquaries Society?s office bearers in 1891, with Queen Victoria at the top. Anderson was the architect of the Gallery and the window was installed in 1894. Appropriately the wreath that surrounds his portrait is made out of Rowan berries.