'Looking through the Great Forth Bridge (8,300 feet long), Scotland'
Share

Reference URL

'Looking through the Great Forth Bridge (8,300 feet long), Scotland' 1896 or before (copyright 1896)
  • Scottish Art
This stereoscopic photograph shows the Forth Bridge, a cantilever railway bridge over the Firth of Forth that connects the city of Edinburgh with Fife. A marvel of engineering, it was designed by Sir John Fowler and Sir Benjamin Baker. Its construction began in 1883 and the bridge was officially opened by the Prince of Wales on 4 March 1890. At times, more than 4,000 construction workers were employed, although according to a recent estimate 97 men lost their lives in the process. Despite the completion of the neighbouring Forth Road Bridge in 1964, more than twice as many passenger trains now cross the railway bridge compared to the 1890s; around 190 each day.

Glossary Open

Stereoscopic Photograph

Two photographs taken at a distance from each other equivalent to the distance between the eyes, mounted together on card, and viewed in a hand viewer. Stereoscopic photography was invented to imitate the vision of both eyes, and the effect is three-dimensional.

Stereoscopic Photograph

Details

  • Acc. No. PGP R 827
  • Medium Albumen print, stereoscopic pair
  • Size 8 x 7.9 cm; 8.2 x 7.8 cm
  • Credit Gift of Mrs. Riddell in memory of Peter Fletcher Riddell, 1985