Two Boys in Camphill School Grounds, Bieldside, Aberdeen
© Photograph by Edith Tudor-Hart

Reference URL

Two Boys in Camphill School Grounds, Bieldside, Aberdeen Photographed 1949
  • Scottish Art
This photograph was taken for a photo essay titled ‘A School Where Love is a Cure’ which appeared in ‘Picture Post’ in 1949. It covered the work of the Camphill School at Bieldside, near Aberdeen. Established in 1940 by an Austrian exile, Karl König, the school offered residential accommodation for children with learning disabilities. König’s theory of “curative education” placed emphasis on community, a value he felt was expressed in his own history as a refugee from fascism. His care was in great demand: by 1949 the school housed seventy-five staff and 180 pupils. The article’s explanation of Camphill’s work was progressive for the time and brought to public attention issues that were usually ignored outside professional circles.

Details

  • Acc. No. PGP 279.41B
  • Medium Modern silver gelatine print from archival negative
  • Size 30.20 x 30.00 cm
  • Credit Presented by Wolfgang Suschitzky 2004