• K
  • Hans Krafft, the Elder
Dedication Medal of the City of Nuremberg for Emperor Charles V (1500 - 1558) (Reverse: The Imperial Double-Headed Eagle of the Holy Roman Empire with the Arms of Austria and Burgundy
Share

Reference URL

Dedication Medal of the City of Nuremberg for Emperor Charles V (1500 - 1558) (Reverse: The Imperial Double-Headed Eagle of the Holy Roman Empire with the Arms of Austria and Burgundy 1521
This outstanding silver medal was designed by Albrecht Dürer, the most famous artist in Nuremberg. It is one of a hundred made in 1521 to commemorate the first parliament in the city assembled for the newly crowned Holy Roman Emperor, Charles V. However, because of a plague epidemic the new parliament was convened in Worms instead, and these medals were obsolete. On the obverse is a profile portrait of Charles V wearing the Order of the Golden Fleece, surrounded by coats of arms. On the reverse side is the double-headed eagle of the Holy Roman Empire and a letter 'N' for Nuremberg.

Glossary Open

Order of the Golden Fleece

Order founded by Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy in 1430 and particularly associated with Habsburg Austria and Spain. The order originally consisted of a Grand Duke and 23 knights, but this number was later increased. The name of the order was chosen as wool was the main product of the lower European countries in which the order flourished.

Order of the Golden Fleece

Details

  • Acc. No. NG 2566
  • Medium Silver
  • Size Diameter: 6.90 cm
  • Credit Purchased 1993