Temples and Hill Fort, Alwar
Share

Reference URL

Temples and Hill Fort, Alwar after 1858
The British Government began to build its photographic record of India in 1855. At first this was a random selection of images of important architectural and archaeological sites, produced by officials and amateurs alike. From the 1860s images of Indian society were also added to this archive. A government colonial official as well as a skilled photographer, Impey here displays an intense interest in Hindu architecture. The scene is carefully arranged and executed, reflecting the photographer's intimate knowledge of India, its buildings and atmospere.

Details

  • Acc. No. PGP R 194.43
  • Medium Albumen print
  • Size 29.8 x 24.4
  • Credit Gift of Mrs. Riddell in memory of Peter Fletcher Riddell 1985