George Street, Looking towards the Church of St. Andrew and St George and the Melville Monument in St. Andrew Square, Edinburgh
Share

Reference URL

George Street, Looking towards the Church of St. Andrew and St George and the Melville Monument in St. Andrew Square, Edinburgh 1840s
  • Scottish Art
This image, which is possibly by Hill and Adamson who were working collaboratively in Edinburgh in the 1840s, shows a view along the city’s prestigious George Street. Named after King George III, the street was laid out from 1767 as part of the New Town redevelopment. This scene, looking east towards St. Andrew Square, shows a horse and several gentlemen in top hats gathered in the foreground. The composition captures the strong classical influence in architecture of the New Town. In the foreground the statue of King George IV is just visible. It was erected in 1831 to commemorate the king’s visit to the capital in 1822, the first reigning monarch to visit the Scotland for 150 years.

Glossary Open

Composition

The arrangement of different elements in a work of art.

Composition

Details

  • Acc. No. PGP HA 5397
  • Medium Calotype
  • Size 16.50 x 21.30 cm
  • Credit Purchased 2006