San Giorgio Maggiore, Venice
Share

Reference URL

San Giorgio Maggiore, Venice about 1770
San Giorgio Maggiore, one of three great churches designed by Andrea Palladio for Venice, is situated in a prominent location on a small island across the Bacino di San Marco from the Doge'sl Palace and the Piazza San Marco. It was built between 1566 and 1589, although the façade was not completed until 1611. This picture and its companion are usually dated to the late 1760s or early 1770s.

Details

  • Acc. No. NG 1499
  • Medium Oil on canvas
  • Size 49.50 x 40.00 cm (framed: 64.2 x 54.4 x 6.5cm)
  • Credit Bequest of Mrs Nisbet Hamilton Ogilvy of Biel 1921