Santa Maria della Salute, Venice
Share

Reference URL

Santa Maria della Salute, Venice about 1770
The elegant church of Santa Maria della Salute, with its distinctive scroll-shaped dome buttresses, stands at the eastern entrance of the Grand Canal and is the masterpiece of its architect, Baldassare Longhena. It was begun in 1631 but not completed until 1687, after the architect’s death. This is a characteristic mature work by Guardi, whose atmospheric views of Venice populated by lively figures contrast with the crystalline clarity of Canaletto’s cityscapes.

Details

  • Acc. No. NG 1498
  • Medium Oil on canvas
  • Size 50.50 x 40.90 cm (framed: 64 x 54.5 x 6.5cm)
  • Credit Bequest of Mrs Nisbet Hamilton Ogilvy of Biel 1921