The London genre and landscape painter William Collins, who married Andrew Geddes’s daughter Harriet in 1820, named his own son Wilkie Collins (the novelist) in honour of David Wilkie. In 1830, at Wilkie’s suggestion, Collins moved from Hampstead to Bayswater, a location within walking distance of his close friend’s house in (Lower Phillimore Place), Kensington. A decade later Wilkie travelled to Palestine to gather material for Christian subjects. But on 1 June 1841 he died during the return journey and was buried at sea – an event commemorated by J M W Turner in ‘Peace – Burial at Sea’ (Tate). Collins’s own picture was exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1842 as a memorial tribute. The woman, dressed in mourning, may be intended for Wilkie’s sister Helen to whom Collins gifted the painting.