The National Gallery and Bank of Scotland
© Estate of Sir Muirhead Bone. All Rights Reserved, DACS 2009

Reference URL

The National Gallery and Bank of Scotland 1910
  • Scottish Art
This beautifully detailed drawing depicts the Scottish National Gallery and Bank of Scotland in Edinburgh, as seen from Princes Street. Bone was particularly skilled at depicting detail and it has been suggested that this was a result of his being long-sighted in one eye and short-sighted in the other. The drawing was bequeathed to the National Galleries of Scotland by Sir James Caw in 1950, and is inscribed ‘In return for tea at Edinburgh Sept. 16, 1910.’ Sir James Caw was the first director of the Scottish National Gallery, from 1907-30 and presumably Bone gave Caw this drawing of his place of work as a gift for providing him with tea.

Glossary Open

Inscription

Text written on a book, document or artwork. Examples include the added information such as edition number and date on a print, or a dedication written in a book.

Inscription

Details

  • Acc. No. GMA 682
  • Medium Pencil on paper
  • Size 12.90 x 16.90 cm
  • Credit Bequeathed by Sir James Caw 1950