The National Gallery of Scotland Act, of 21 December 1906, specifies a change of use for the buildings on The Mound. Lack of space to accommodate the collection encourages the State to allow the National Gallery to inhabit the whole of the National Gallery building, offering the Royal Scottish Academy indefinite tenancy of the building in front (then the Royal Institution). This building then becomes known as the Royal Scottish Academy.
Newly refurbished National Gallery re-opens.
At the end of the Second World War, the Duke of Sutherland loans a phenomenal collection of paintings to the National Gallery, including five Titians, two Raphaels and a Rembrandt self-portrait. Their former home, the picture gallery of Bridgewater House in London, has been severely damaged by German bombing during the war.